Habichuelas (Red Beans) Recipe
My grandmother gave me the recipe for this traditional red bean dish. It's been a tried-and-true standby in my family for years. It's best served as a side, usually with white rice, and goes well with any entree.
- 2 tablespoons Sofrito (recipe also in Recipe Finder)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope Goya sazon with coriander and annatto
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large skillet, cook Sofrito in oil over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water, beans, potatoes, tomato sauce, sazon, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Habichuelas (Red Beans) in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p104
Reviews for Habichuelas (Red Beans)(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review