Gyro Salad with Tzatziki Dressing Recipe
- 1 cucumber, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 pound ground lamb or ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning or oregano leaves
- 1 package (10 ounces) hearts of romaine salad mix
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 package (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, drained
- Toasted pita bread wedges
- 1. In a large bowl, sprinkle cucumber with salt; mix well. Let stand 5 minutes. Drain. Stir in remaining dressing ingredients. Cover and refrigerate.
- 2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook lamb, onion and Greek seasoning until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 3. Arrange salad mix on a large serving platter; top with tomatoes, cheese, olives and lamb. Spoon dressing over salad. Serve immediately with toasted pita wedges. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving equals 241 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 785 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Reviews for Gyro Salad with Tzatziki Dressing
"I took this to a potluck and nothing was left. Thankfully I had more ingredients at home so I could make more. The dressing is good on any salad or even by itself."
"I used beef, omitted the salt, and substituted black olives for Greek...still it turned out YUMMY!! The family LOVED it!"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.