If you're fond of gyros, you'll enjoy this garden-fresh salad showcasing ground lamb, crumbled feta cheese, Kalamata olives, tomatoes and a creamy, tangy dressing.
- 1 cucumber, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 pound ground lamb or ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning or oregano leaves
- 1 package (10 ounces) hearts of romaine salad mix
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 package (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, drained
- Toasted pita bread wedges
- In a large bowl, sprinkle cucumber with salt; mix well. Let stand 5 minutes. Drain. Stir in remaining dressing ingredients. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook lamb, onion and Greek seasoning until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Arrange salad mix on a large serving platter; top with tomatoes, cheese, olives and lamb. Spoon dressing over salad. Serve immediately with toasted pita wedges. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Gyro Salad with Tzatziki Dressing in Taste of Home Cooking School Collection Spring 2007, p19
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Gyro Salad with Tzatziki Dressing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review