- 1 cucumber, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 pound ground lamb or ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning or oregano leaves
- 1 package (10 ounces) hearts of romaine salad mix
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 package (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, drained
- Toasted pita bread wedges
- In a large bowl, sprinkle cucumber with salt; mix well. Let stand 5 minutes. Drain. Stir in remaining dressing ingredients. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook lamb, onion and Greek seasoning until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Arrange salad mix on a large serving platter; top with tomatoes, cheese, olives and lamb. Spoon dressing over salad. Serve immediately with toasted pita wedges. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Gyro Salad with Tzatziki Dressing in Taste of Home Cooking School Collection Spring 2007, p19
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Gyro Salad with Tzatziki Dressing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 2, 2010
"I used beef, omitted the salt, and substituted black olives for Greek...still it turned out YUMMY!! The family LOVED it!"