Gyro Pita Burgers Recipe
The mild seasonings in these burgers give them mass appeal. Pita bread is a nice change of pace from the usual hamburger buns.Katie Koziolek, Hartland, Minnesota
- CUCUMBER SAUCE:
- 2 cups (16 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1-1/4 cups chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- GYRO BURGERS:
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground lamb or pork
- 4 pita breads, halved
- Sliced cucumber
- For the cucumber sauce, line a fine mesh strainer with two layers of cheesecloth. Place yogurt in strainer over a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard liquid; set yogurt aside. Place cucumber in a colander over another bowl; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 15 minutes; discard liquid.
- In a large bowl, whisk oil and vinegar until blended. Stir in the garlic, reserved yogurt and cucumber; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- For gyro burgers, in a large bowl, combine the yogurt, garlic, rosemary, lemon-pepper and salt. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well. Shape into four oval patties.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 6-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Serve in pita bread with sliced cucumber and cucumber sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Gyro Burgers in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2010, p164
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Gyro Pita Burgers(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- BBQ Pork Recipes >
- Burger Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Greek Dinner Recipes >
- Greek Recipes >
- Grilled Lamb >
- Grilled Pork Recipes >
- Grilling Hamburgers >
- Grilling Recipes >
- Ground Lamb >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >