- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning, divided
- 1/2 cup uncooked old-fashioned grits
- 3/4 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 1 medium lemon, quartered
- 16 uncooked jumbo shrimp, deveined
- 2 cups chopped baby portobello mushrooms
- 5 bacon strips, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, bring water and 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat. Cover and cook for 12-14 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Add cheese; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until melted. Set aside and keep warm.
- Place the butter, oil, garlic, oregano, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne and remaining Creole seasoning in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Squeeze juice from lemon into dish; add lemon quarters. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 4-6 minutes or until hot. Add shrimp; bake 10-12 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the mushrooms, bacon, shallot and remaining cayenne over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is evaporated. Reduce heat; stir in spinach and cream.
- Peel shrimp, leaving tails on. Spoon grits onto serving dishes; top each with sauce mixture and a shrimp. Yield: 16 appetizers.
Originally published as Gump's Shrimp & Grits in Simple & Delicious February/March 2012, p59
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Gump's Shrimp & Grits
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 8, 2012
The entire family enjoyed this dish. We felt as if we had gone to an extravagant restaurant.
More Recipe Collections
- Appetizers >
- Baking Recipes >
- Cajun Appetizers >
- Cajun Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Appetizers >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cocktail Party Appetizers >
- Finger Food Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Holiday Finger Foods >
- Hors d'oeuvre Recipes >
- Low Carb Appetizers >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Appetizers >
- Mardi Gras Recipes >
- Meat Appetizers >
- Mushroom Appetizers >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- New Year's Appetizers >