Gumdrop Loaves Recipe
I dress up traditional fruitcake by stirring in colorful, chewy gumdrops. No one can resist a sweet slice!—JoAnn Renze, Omaha, Nebraska
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups small gumdrops
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup red candied cherries, cut in half
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, applesauce and vanilla (batter will appear curdled). Remove black gumdrops and save for another use. In a large bowl, combine the gumdrops, pecans, dates, raisins, cherries and 1 cup flour; toss to coat. Combine the baking soda, cinnamon, pie spice and remaining flour; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Fold in gumdrop mixture.
- 2. Pour into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 300° for 45 minutes; cover loosely with foil. Bake 45 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 slice equals 321 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 141 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Gumdrop Loaves
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC