- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups small gumdrops
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup red candied cherries, cut in half
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, applesauce and vanilla (batter will appear curdled). Remove black gumdrops and save for another use. In a large bowl, combine the gumdrops, pecans, dates, raisins, cherries and 1 cup flour; toss to coat. Combine the baking soda, cinnamon, pie spice and remaining flour; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Fold in gumdrop mixture.
- Pour into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 300° for 45 minutes; cover loosely with foil. Bake 45 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Gumdrop Loaves in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p48
Reviews for Gumdrop Loaves
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 18, 2014
"Tasted good should have cooked it a little longer, the tooth pick came out clean but it wasnt quite cooked."