These fun cookies are chock-full of chewy gumdrops. I use red and green ones at Christmas, black and orange for Halloween and pastel shades for Easter. I've made this recipe for years and find that kids really get a kick out of the cookies with a candy surprise inside!
42 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped fruit-flavored or spiced gumdrops
- 2 egg whites
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and 3/4 cup sugar until light and
- fluffy. Beat in extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt;
- gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in gumdrops.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add
- remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into dough.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking
- sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool
- completely. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 87 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 34 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.