Gumdrop Cookies Recipe
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped fruit-flavored or spiced gumdrops
- 2 egg whites
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in gumdrops.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into dough.
- 3. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 87 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 34mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Gumdrop Cookies
"These turned out so good! I was a little nervous when I starting trying to fold in the egg whites but they mixed in just fine. I didn't bother chopping the gumdrops."
"Turned out way better than I thought they would - love them!"
"Made these last night and they are great! I used the Christmas spiced gumdrops. Would like to try it with the regular."
"This cookie has been a holiday favorite from my childhood! So excited to see it. It's going in "My Recipe Box"! I love that almond extract is used. Yum!"
"Mmmmmmmmm! I have been CRAVING this kind of cookies...definitely going to be making them! :)"