Gumbo Joes Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed chicken gumbo soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 sandwich rolls, split
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, horseradish, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Spoon onto rolls. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 344 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 904mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Reviews for Gumbo Joes
"I've made this recipe many times now. It is our favorite "sloppy joe" recipe. I use one tablespoon vinegar instead of three and one whole green pepper instead of 1/4 cup. I often use 2 lbs of beef because that is how we package our burger and it still has enough sauce. It also tastes great on top of baking powder or 7-Up biscuits."
"Omitted the white vinegar & bay leaf. Very delicious! No leftovers! Excellent recipe!"
"This was good, but a little too sweet for our tastes. Didn't taste much like gumbo."