Gumbo Joes Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed chicken gumbo soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 sandwich rolls, split
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, horseradish, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Spoon onto rolls. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 344 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 904mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein .
Reviews for Gumbo Joes
"I've made this recipe many times now. It is our favorite "sloppy joe" recipe. I use one tablespoon vinegar instead of three and one whole green pepper instead of 1/4 cup. I often use 2 lbs of beef because that is how we package our burger and it still has enough sauce. It also tastes great on top of baking powder or 7-Up biscuits."
"Omitted the white vinegar & bay leaf. Very delicious! No leftovers! Excellent recipe!"
"I would love to try these, but cannot find condensed chicken gumbo soup in my area...any substitution ideas?"
"This was good, but a little too sweet for our tastes. Didn't taste much like gumbo."
"Sounds delicious!! I cannot wait to try it, I just hope I can find condensed chicken gumbo soup."