The guys in our family like to spoon the zesty beef filling over both halves of the roll and eat it with a fork. Now that I no longer work outside of the home, I find myself in the kitchen reading recipes, cooking and baking. - Shirley Wranosky, Eagle River, Wisconsin
12 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed chicken gumbo soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 sandwich rolls, split
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium
- heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup, ketchup,
- brown sugar, vinegar, horseradish, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cover
- and simmer for 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Spoon onto rolls.
- Yield: 12 servings.
To make Gumbo Joes a complete meal, serve them with baked beans, potato salad, pickles and a gelatin salad.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 344 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 904 mg sodium,