Gumbo in a Jiffy
“This is a yummy dish,” Amy Flack proclaims from Homer City, Pennsylvania. “My husband loves the kick Italian sausage gives this quick gumbo, and it’s such a cinch to assemble.”
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 Italian sausage links, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 can (7 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain. Stir
- in the tomatoes, broth and water; bring to a boil. Stir in rice and
- corn; cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (prepared with Italian turkey sausage and reduced-sodium broth) equals 204 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 884 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 lean meat, 1-1/2 vegetable, 1 starch.