- 2 pounds red potatoes, quartered
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 8 whole cloves
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) Guinness stout or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 small head cabbage, thinly sliced
- Prepared horseradish
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine potatoes, carrots, celery and onion. Add corned beef (discard spice packet or save for another use).
- Place cloves, peppercorns and bay leaf on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with string. Place in slow cooker. Pour stout over top.
- Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender, adding cabbage during the last hour of cooking. Discard spice bag.
- Cut beef diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve beef with vegetables and horseradish. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Guinness Corned Beef and Cabbage
"Excellent and easy recipe. Only cooked for 7 hours instead of 8-10. Very moist and had great flavors. Only way to cook your corned beef and cabbage."
"I am not a beer drinker, so I had to search out a single can or bottle of Guinness. I was not able to find it, so I substituted it with a micro brew super dark ale-I believe it was called Irish Death or something, and was a black and foamy beer like Guinness. Anyway, it really flavored this nicely! (and it was not dry at all!)"
"Loved this recipe."
"Have made this for two years running on St. Paddy's Day and it's the best! Throw ingredients in the crockpot in the AM, add the cabbage when we get home and eat after enjoying a pre-dinner Guinness. Erin go Bragh!"
"Delish!!! Will make every year!"