Guinness Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe
- 2 pounds red potatoes, quartered
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 8 whole cloves
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) Guinness stout or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 small head cabbage, thinly sliced
- Prepared horseradish
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine potatoes, carrots, celery and onion. Add corned beef (discard spice packet or save for another use).
- Place cloves, peppercorns and bay leaf on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with string. Place in slow cooker. Pour stout over top.
- Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender, adding cabbage during the last hour of cooking. Discard spice bag.
- Cut beef diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve beef with vegetables and horseradish. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Guinness Corned Beef and Cabbage
Sort By :
"Excellent flavor, so tender and juicy. I'll make it again and again. I did use beef broth and beer to cook it in, the meat was beautiful. My roast was 5 lbs and I cooked it for 8 hours, perfection."
"the meat WAS tough but the dish was very flavorful. ten hours was a lot of time for such little return. will stick with oven method next time."
"This recipe was awful! The corned beef came out very tough and really dry!! I made 2 crock pot corned beef one my traditional way and one with the beer. My traditional one was by far the best. I'll stick with that one from now ion!"
"This was excellent, and the leftovers freeze well for lunches to take to work later."
"I'll never use just plain water to cook my corned beef in again! The Guinness added great flavor to the vegetables and the meat."