- 2 pounds red potatoes, quartered
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 8 whole cloves
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) Guinness stout or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 small head cabbage, thinly sliced
- Prepared horseradish
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine potatoes, carrots, celery and onion. Add corned beef (discard spice packet or save for another use).
- Place cloves, peppercorns and bay leaf on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with string. Place in slow cooker. Pour stout over top.
- Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender, adding cabbage during the last hour of cooking. Discard spice bag.
- Cut beef diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve beef with vegetables and horseradish. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Guinness Corned Beef and Cabbage
Sort By :
"Have made this for two years running on St. Paddy's Day and it's the best! Throw ingredients in the crockpot in the AM, add the cabbage when we get home and eat after enjoying a pre-dinner Guinness. Erin go Bragh!"
"Delish!!! Will make every year!"
"I'm not a big fan of corned beef and cabbage but when I was asked to make one for a party I tried this one. It was a huge hit. I made it the day before, packed it up and reheated it at the party. It tasted better the next day so I'll plan to do that from now on."
"Excellent flavor, so tender and juicy. I'll make it again and again. I did use beef broth and beer to cook it in, the meat was beautiful. My roast was 5 lbs and I cooked it for 8 hours, perfection."
"the meat WAS tough but the dish was very flavorful. ten hours was a lot of time for such little return. will stick with oven method next time."