Guinness Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe
Passed down through multiple generations in our family, this robust corned beef and cabbage recipe is requested often in our house. The Irish stout beer adds excellent richness to the corned beef. Just throw the ingredients together in the slow cooker and let them simmer until delicious!—Karin Brodbeck, Red Hook, New York
- 2 pounds red potatoes, quartered
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 8 whole cloves
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) Guinness stout or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 small head cabbage, thinly sliced
- Prepared horseradish
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine potatoes, carrots, celery and onion. Add corned beef (discard spice packet or save for another use).
- Place cloves, peppercorns and bay leaf on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with string. Place in slow cooker. Pour stout over top.
- Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender, adding cabbage during the last hour of cooking. Discard spice bag.
- Cut beef diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve beef with vegetables and horseradish. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Guinness Corned Beef and Cabbage in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2013, p19
Reviews for Guinness Corned Beef and Cabbage(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 2, 2014
This was excellent, and the leftovers freeze well for lunches to take to work later.
Reviewed Feb. 26, 2014
I'll never use just plain water to cook my corned beef in again! The Guinness added great flavor to the vegetables and the meat.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Brisket Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Corned Beef >
- Corned Beef Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Irish Dinners >
- Irish Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Brisket >