Guilt-Free Chicken Chili Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Optional toppings: Greek yogurt, reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese and/or sliced jalapeno peppers
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook chicken, onion, red pepper and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up chicken into crumbles; drain.
- 2. Add beans, tomatoes, water, tomato paste, cocoa and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until flavors are blended.
- 3. Serve with rice and, if desired, toppings of your choice.
- 4. Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water or reduced-sodium broth if necessary. Serve with brown rice and toppings as directed. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 chili with 1/2 cup cooked brown rice (calculated without optional toppings) equals 326 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 411 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 21 g protein.