- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Optional toppings: Greek yogurt, reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese and/or sliced jalapeno peppers
- In a Dutch oven, cook chicken, onion, red pepper and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up chicken into crumbles; drain.
- Add beans, tomatoes, water, tomato paste, cocoa and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until flavors are blended.
- Serve with rice and, if desired, toppings of your choice. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Guilt-Free Chicken Chili
Sort By :
This was hands-down the best chili I have ever tasted let alone cooked. Follow the recipe to the letter the first time around so you can see for yourself exactly what you may do to tweak it - I'm going to be adding corn the next time I do, but there is absolutely no NEED to change anything. Fantastic recipe, I'm going to be making this on a regular basis.
I made it as directed forgot to drain beans( whoops ) I doubled the recipe and used one can tomato sauce instead of two cans tomatoes. A little extra chili powder, garlic and added green pepper .. Everyone loved it ! i also used white rice instead of brown due to gluten allergy
This is very bland and the baking cocoa is not a good idea. It is nasty!!!!!! I had to add bacon molasses, more garlic and worcestershire sauce to make it edible so we did not waste the food. We ate til we were full and gave the rest to the dogs.