“I am always cutting fat from recipes,” says Elaine Alever of Saginaw, Michigan. “But when I was invited to a party where the hostess was diabetic, I wanted to take this trifle, a dessert she could enjoy.”
Featured In: 26 of Our Easiest Desserts Ever
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 9 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 3/4 cup cold water, divided
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, chopped
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 loaf-shaped angel food cakes (10-1/2 ounces each), cubed
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine 1/4 cup sugar substitute, 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add strawberries; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- In another heavy saucepan, combine the remaining sugar substitute, cornstarch and water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add blueberries; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in remaining lemon juice. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- Place half of the cake cubes in a 4-qt. trifle bowl. Layer with strawberry mixture, half of the pudding, remaining cake cubes, blueberry mixture and remaining pudding. Top with whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Guilt-Free Berry Trifle in Healthy Cooking April/May 2008, p52
Reviews for Guilt-Free Berry Trifle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 15, 2010
"This was such an outstanding recipe! My husband and I enjoyed it so much that absolutely none of it went to waste. It is light and flavorful without ruining your diet."