Guilt-Free Berry Trifle Recipe
“I am always cutting fat from recipes,” says Elaine Alever of Saginaw, Michigan. “But when I was invited to a party where the hostess was diabetic, I wanted to take this trifle, a dessert she could enjoy.”
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 9 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 3/4 cup cold water, divided
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, chopped
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 loaf-shaped angel food cakes (10-1/2 ounces each), cubed
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine 1/4 cup sugar substitute, 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add strawberries; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- In another heavy saucepan, combine the remaining sugar substitute, cornstarch and water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add blueberries; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in remaining lemon juice. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- Place half of the cake cubes in a 4-qt. trifle bowl. Layer with strawberry mixture, half of the pudding, remaining cake cubes, blueberry mixture and remaining pudding. Top with whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Guilt-Free Berry Trifle in Healthy Cooking April/May 2008, p52
Reviews for Guilt-Free Berry Trifle(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 15, 2010
This was such an outstanding recipe! My husband and I enjoyed it so much that absolutely none of it went to waste. It is light and flavorful without ruining your diet.
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Berry Trifle >
- Blueberry Desserts >
- Blueberry Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Desserts >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Desserts >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Jello Pudding Recipes >
- July 4th Desserts >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Labor Day Desserts >
- Labor Day Recipes >