You'll bring a taste of the Old World to your holiday table when you serve this time-honored German pastry. It's sure to please everyone...even those who don't care for fruitcake. If you like, substitute dried cherries or raisins for the other dried fruits.—Karen Deaver, Babylon Village, New York
- 3-1/2 teaspoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- Dash salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Place the flour, sugar, butter, orange peel and salt in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Add egg yolks; cover and process just until moistened. While processing, gradually add milk mixture in a steady stream. Stir in the apricots, cranberries and almonds.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 9-in. decorative tube pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 316 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 84 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC