- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 ounces thin slices prosciutto, chopped
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped (4 cups)
- 1 carton (8 ounces) egg substitute
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups cubed French bread
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add prosciutto; cook and stir until crisp. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Add onions to the same pan; cook and stir until tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg substitute, milk, mustard and pepper. Stir in bread and onions. Reserve 2 tablespoons cooked prosciutto for topping; stir remaining prosciutto into bread mixture.
- Transfer half of the mixture to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with half of the cheese. Top with remaining bread mixture. Separately cover and refrigerate strata and reserved prosciutto overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; top with reserved prosciutto. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Gruyere & Prosciutto Strata in Taste of Home April/May 2013
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Gruyere & Prosciutto Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 1, 2013
Absolutely delicious! Had this for Easter Brunch and everyone agreed it was a "repeater." Made EXACTLY as instructed.