Gruyere & Caramelized Onion Tarts Recipe
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil and butter until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in salt and pepper.
- 2. Unfold each puff pastry sheet onto an ungreased baking sheet. Using a knife, score decorative lines around the edges of each pastry. Spread onion mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with cheeses and thyme.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cut each tart into 12 pieces. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 piece: 142 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 125mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Gruyere & Caramelized Onion Tarts
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.