Groundnut Stew Recipe
- 6 ounces lamb stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 ounces pork stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 large green pepper, cut into wedges
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups cubed eggplant
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen sliced okra
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil; set aside. In a food processor, combine the onion, green pepper and tomatoes; cover and process until blended.
- 2. In a large saucepan, combine the eggplant, water, okra and onion mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, for 7-9 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Stir in the peanut butter, salt, pepper and browned meat. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until heated through. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup (prepared with lean beef stew meat and reduced-fat peanut butter; calculated without rice) equals 230 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 470 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.