Ground Pork Taco Salad Recipe
- 1 pound ground pork or beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup water
- 10 cups torn romaine
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Western salad dressing
- Tortilla chips, crushed
- Sour cream and guacamole, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook pork over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the taco seasoning, beans and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; cool for 10 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the romaine, tomatoes, onion and cheese. Stir in pork mixture. Drizzle with salad dressing and toss to coat. Sprinkle with chips. Serve immediately with sour cream and guacamole if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
2 cup: 493 calories, 30g fat (13g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 1106mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 28g protein
Reviews for Ground Pork Taco Salad
"Overall, was a big hit!"
"This was a big hit even though I forgot to put in the western salad dressing and serve it with sour cream. I did use canned diced tomatoes in place of fresh. I stayed the juices then added them to the meat mixture."
"This is very good. I modified the recipe slightly. I used ground beef and added avocado and fresh corn. the dressing I used was Marie's Chipotle Ranch and it was delicious and a little spicy. I am not sure what Western dressing is, I did not see that type at the store."
"We couldn't find "Western" salad dressing at our grocery store, so we used "California" salad dressing instead and this was AMAZING! I was asked for the recipe by many different people :)"
"I have made a version of this Taco Salad for years. The only difference is we do not cook the Kidney beans, just toss them in with the other ingredients. We mix everything except the meat together and put the meat on the bottom of the plate, then pile up the salad ingredients. Use Thousand Island dressing. This is a fast and excellent dinner. Yum...need to make it soon!"
"Okay, I have made this TWICE in the matter of four days, due to massive requests for it...I altered it a bit though...I used fat-free Jenny-O ground turkey breast (I cannot have red meat for health reasons) and did not add the beans (as no one likes them in our family). My SUPPER PICKY daughter (age 9) tried this and asked me to make it twice per week "always" and it is always gone before I get to eat any! I actually got a few bites today...left over from a dinner party we had last night...It was WONDERFUL! In fact, the attendees asked for the recipe which is why I am on the site now! We also used the new Snider's 100% natural white corn chips which are a HUGE hit as well. We served it with tomatos and sour cream on the side. Deffinately a "Keeper"! Yummy!"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.