Ground Pork Reuben Burgers
Put a new spin on a classic with this recipe from Jeanne Fenstermaker of Kendallville, Indiana. Jeanne uses ground pork and sauerkraut in this fun alternative to traditional burgers. For true Reuben flavor, put the ketchup away and top things off with Thousand Island salad dressing.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut, drained
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the salt, pepper and garlic; crumble pork
- over seasonings and mix well. Shape into 16 patties, about 3/8 in.
- thick. Spoon tablespoon sauerkraut in the center of eight patties;
- top each with a second patty and press edges to seal.
- Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or
- until a thermometer reads 160°. Top with cheese. Serve on buns.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 455 calories, 26 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 988 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.