You can substitute ground turkey or pork in this recipe.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced fresh okra
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook the chicken, celery, green pepper and onion in oil over medium heat for 8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until heated through. Serve over rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Ground Chicken Gumbo in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy Annual 2005, p110
Reviews for Ground Chicken Gumbo
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 28, 2012
"great recipe to work with what you have on hand give or take on exact amounts"