You can substitute ground turkey or pork in this recipe.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced fresh okra
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook the chicken, celery, green pepper and onion in oil over medium heat for 8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until heated through. Serve over rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Ground Chicken Gumbo in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy Annual 2005, p110
Reviews for Ground Chicken Gumbo
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 28, 2012
"great recipe to work with what you have on hand give or take on exact amounts"