Ground Beef Wellington Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 tube (4 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1. In a saucepan, saute mushrooms in butter until softened. Stir in flour and 1/8 teaspoon pepper until blended. Gradually add the cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the egg yolk, onion, 2 tablespoons mushroom sauce, salt and remaining pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into two loaves. Separate crescent dough into two rectangles on a baking sheet. Seal perforations. Place meat loaf on each rectangle. Bring edges together and pinch to seal. Bake at 350° for 24-28 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into meat loaf reads 160°.
- 3. Meanwhile, warm remaining sauce over low heat; stir in parsley. Serve sauce with Wellingtons. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 578 calories, 37g fat (16g saturated fat), 207mg cholesterol, 909mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein
Reviews for Ground Beef Wellington
"I was extremely disappointed with this recipe. The only change I made was using onion instead of mushroom for the sauce.My husband and I found the sauce to be extremely bland, and my husband who likes mushrooms said even if I'd used mushrooms instead it still wouldn't have much flavor. Maybe I needed to use salted butter?For the meat part, I don't know what went wrong there either. I had to cook the meat longer than suggested because the inside was still very red. Because I had to cook it longer, the crescent roll got pretty dark. Despite the dark exterior, the crescent roll was very soggy, especially the bottom.I think if the sauce had more flavor and the crescent roll was actually crispy, then this would have been a good recipe. If someone can tell me where I went wrong, I'm all ears. I really want to like this recipe, but as-is, I was disappointed."
"So good! I'm not the best cook, so when my son says "make this again" I know I found a keeper"
"easy and delicious"
"Made this lastnite,also doubled the sauce and added spices to hamburger. Its a keeper.Great meal"
"My family loved this and that isn't an easy feat to accomplish ! I will probably add some seasoning to the meat next time to give a bit more flavor and definitely double the sauce."
"I used a full lb. of ground beef. It filled up the crescent roll nicely!! I would double the sauce next time as it was excellent. Great Meal!"
"This is absolutely heavenly and easy. Make with mashed potatoes... also I may double the sauce next time as that was SO good! A+!"