Ground Beef Vermicelli
In this recipe, vermicelli noodles are first browned to develop a slightly nutty flavor. Then they simmer in a seasoned tomato sauce for a deliciously different dinner.
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 8 ounces vermicelli, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 slices process American cheese
- In a large skillet, saute vermicelli in butter until browned. Add
- beef; cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in
- the tomato sauce, celery, onions, corn, green pepper and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Arrange cheese slices over the top. Cook, uncovered, until the cheese
- is melted, about 5 minutes. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 292 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 1,104 mg sodium,