- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-3/4 cups shortening
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Half-and-half cream
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, combine the water, egg and vinegar. Add to shortening mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly with a fork until mixture forms a ball. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the first six filling ingredients. Divide pastry into 15 equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion into a 6-1/2-in. circle.
- Mound a heaping 1/3 cup filling on half of circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal. Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling.
- Cut three slits in the top of each turnover; brush with cream. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender and crust is golden brown. Yield: 15 turnovers.
Reviews for Ground Beef Turnovers
"I find it so amusing when people don't follow the recipe, the food turns out badly, then they blame the recipe. If you're afraid the hamburger won't cook, then maybe you should find one where the meat is already cooked. Of course they came out dry!Anyway, gonna try these for dinner tonight and will leave a review! Thanks!"
"I tried this recipe as a way to make freezable meals for 'grab and go' lunches and dinners. For this it works great!While like others I found that the filling exceeded the pastry by at least 2X making another batch of pastry was not a problem and having lots in the freezer is just fine.The pastry is wonderful [although I would like to find one with less shortening] I see lots of potential with it a variety of different fillings.The filling is a tad on the bland side. I tried spicing it up with garlic and Worcheshire sauce which seemed to help some.To help with the dryness I added some zucchini [lots around this time of year!] Next time I might also add some tomatoes and/or spinach."
"This recipie was pure misery to make. Since the biggest pan I had would only hold 4-6 of the turnovers I had to bake them up in batches. Combine that with the prep work and it took me nearly 4 hours to make them all. I did modify the filling until it was entirely unrecognizable. Firstly the original recipe doesn't have any flavours in it. I added some herbs and spices to give it more taste. Secondly the idea of putting raw meat int he dough and hoping it cooked up properly by the time the pastry was done terrified me so I pre-cooked it all. Plus, as per the other comments, it was just too darn dry, so I added a thickener and some hot water to make a very thick gravy. I basically turned the filling into my own sheppards pie filling. The pastry was pretty good and not too hard to make and was the only thing I didn't modify. IF you have kids underfoot don't even think of attempting it just won't happen."
"This recipe was crazy hard to make. there was so much filling and not enough dough (i had to make more). The dough was very cracky and made it hard to work with. If your looking for a calm fun recipe to make on your day off dont choose this one."
"The filling tasted good but dry. I found the crust was dry and crumbly. The preparation time was very understated by 1.5 hours. I'll look for a different recipe next time."
"i like the pastry part, but for the filling i put in gravy and celery and some garlic powder."
"Is this freezable once it's cooked?"
"This recipe was perfect for meat lovers! I made my turnovers quite bigger then the recipe called for so I felt like I was almost eating meatloaf in a pastry. If there is a next time, I will make sure to make them small like the recipe says and I don't think I will cut up the carrots as much, they seemed a bit too small."
"This was absolutely fabulous! The crust was not soggy the baking time was plenty to cook all the meat the veggies and the crust. I made it for a friend and kept some for my own family they were a hit. I will definitely be making these again."