Ground Beef Turnovers Recipe
Meet the Cook: Traditional meat pies aren't among my husband's favorites. He likes these so much, however, that he even eats them cold! I've found they're a great lunch for a haying crew as well. Brian and I have a son, 11 months. -Wendy Tomlinson, Echo Bay, Ontario
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-3/4 cups shortening
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Half-and-half cream
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, combine the water, egg and vinegar. Add to shortening mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly with a fork until mixture forms a ball. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, combine the first six filling ingredients. Divide pastry into 15 equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion into a 6-1/2-in. circle.
- 3. Mound a heaping 1/3 cup filling on half of circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal. Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling.
- 4. Cut three slits in the top of each turnover; brush with cream. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender and crust is golden brown. Yield: 15 turnovers.
1 serving (1 each) equals 449 calories, 27 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 520 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Reviews for Ground Beef Turnovers
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC