Ground Beef Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe
- 2 large acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1. Invert squash in two ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Add water and cover with foil. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Add the apple, rice, sunflower kernels and curry. Cook and stir until apple is tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the egg, 1 teaspoon brown sugar and 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- 3. Place squash cut side up on a baking sheet. Place 1 teaspoon remaining brown sugar and 1 teaspoon butter in each half. Sprinkle with remaining salt. Fill with meat mixture.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
1 stuffed squash half: 496 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 886mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 8g fiber), 23g protein
Reviews for Ground Beef Stuffed Acorn Squash
"This is an amazingly tasty dish and healthy too! I used wild rice and sliced toasted almonds,,,yum yum . Thank you Ruth"
"This is an awesome meal! I like to eat mostly vegetarian meals, so will try substituting mushrooms for the meat."
"I was surprised at the delicious flavor and my 2 and 4 year old ate all their dinner for once! Easy to make dish. Made no changes."
"The stuffing was delicious! I forgot roast the squash before stuffing (it was one of THOSE dinner prep nights) so we ended up microwaving the squash and then dumping the stuffing on top. It worked. I can't wait until next time when I make it the *right* way!"
"This was absolutely delicious and easy to make"
"New family favorite. Absolutely delicious."
"This recipe is so delicious with its unique flavors. It has made itself into my "permenant rotation" of recipes."
"We really enjoy stuffed squash, this recipe was close to another we enjoy- I love the combination of the baked apple and spices and warming delicious squash. Ahhh great fall winter dish! My husband thinks I am such an accomplished cook when I serve things like this."
"Wonderful recipe. I had brown rice leftover with corn, so I used that instead, and I also added Parmesan before serving. I would make it again, but I would vary the recipe and add garlic, possibly tomatoes, and a little "hot" like pepper flakes. It is a recipe that you could do so many ways--love it and think of all the veggies you are getting. My husband really liked it too!!!"
"I think it's awesome and would definitely make it again."