Ground Beef Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe
This is an elegant-looking dish that can be served for special-occasion meals as well as everyday dinners. This is a "must" for our family when our garden squash is in bloom. --Ruth Stone, Lindsay, Nebraska
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 55 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 2 large acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1. Invert squash in two ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Add water and cover with foil. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Add the apple, rice, sunflower kernels and curry. Cook and stir until apple is tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the egg, 1 teaspoon brown sugar and 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- 3. Place squash cut side up on a baking sheet. Place 1 teaspoon remaining brown sugar and 1 teaspoon butter in each half. Sprinkle with remaining salt. Fill with meat mixture.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
1 stuffed squash half equals 496 calories, 20 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 115 mg cholesterol, 886 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC