- 1 package (16 ounces) spiral pasta
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 jars (26 ounces each) spaghetti sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, tomato paste, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir pasta into meat mixture. Transfer to two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Sprinkle each with 2 cups cheese. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months.
- Bake the remaining casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (8 servings each).
Reviews for Ground Beef Spiral Bake
"Good and easy, but really nothing amazing."
"oops i forgot to say i added a small can of mushrooms too. yummy!"
"I love this recipe. I didnt make two. I tweeked it though, I added a tablespoon of italian seasoning, garlic salt, a cup-cup 1/2 of water half a box of spirals. i used a 32 oz Classico spagetti sauce fire roasted i think. next time i'll use rotelle instead of rotini. but we loved it. this is a every other week meal from now on. i took a pic and i wish i could post it."
"Awesome dish!! Everyone in the family loved it, and the kids don't even like italian. I will definitely make this again."
"My husband loves this casserole! I like that I can make a meal and have a second casserole to freeze! Sometimes I substitute Hunt's Chunky Vegetable pasta Sauce for the spaghetti sauce as my husband prefers it made using the pasta sauce. (I also like the recipe but can't eat much of it due to having GERD.)"