Ground Beef Potpie Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped carrots
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onions and carrots over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain if necessary. Stir in the potatoes, broth and seasonings. Spoon into an ungreased 9-in. pie plate.
- 2. Place pastry over filling; crimp edges to seal. Cut slits in top. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece equals 358 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 539 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Ground Beef Potpie
"I really enjoyed this recipe. Having the potatoes in mashed form to take the place of creamy "gravy" around the meat and carrots was an interesting, tasty twist! I'm not a huge fan of sage, so I cut back just a touch on that, but the seasoning combination was a really good one. The only thing I felt was missing from the recipe was more variety of vegetables.I misread the ingredient list intitially and thought it called for puff pastry, which I had, instead of pie pastry, which I didn't, so I went with that sub and it turned out wonderfully."
"Turned out great! I used bouillon and water instead of broth and added a bit more salt."