Ground Beef Noodle Soup
This savory specialty combines ground beef with onions, celery and carrots. "This is a wonderful fast soup to make any day of the week," says Judy Brander of Two Harbors, Minnesota.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup each chopped onion, celery and carrot
- 7 cups water
- 1 envelope au jus mix
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef, onion, celery and carrot over
- medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the water, au jus mix, bouillon, bay leaves and pepper; bring to
- a boil. Stir in the noodles. Return to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for
- 15 minutes or until noodles are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaves. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with lean ground beef, reduced-sodium bouillon and yolk-free noodles) equals 203 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 471 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.