Ground Beef Lo Mein
Our home economists modified Penny Auclair's recipe to use up extra cooked ground beef. “I tried this when I was going to school full-time and wanted something quick, foolproof and delicious,” writes the Amesbury, Massachusetts cook. “My family loves it.” TIP: “For a change, use chicken breasts and chicken gravy instead of ground beef and beef gravy,” Penny recommends.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1/2 pound cooked ground beef
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen stir-fry vegetable blend, thawed
- 1 jar (12 ounces) home-style beef gravy
- 1/4 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large
- skillet, cook beef over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until heated
- through. Add the vegetables, gravy, soy sauce, garlic powder and
- pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10
- minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Drain spaghetti; stir
- into beef mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (prepared with lean ground beef and fat-free gravy) equals 267 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 425 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.