If your family likes gyros as much as mine, they'll love this easy version that's made with ground beef instead of lamb. I found the recipe in a newspaper and adapted it to fit our tastes. They're very much like the ones served at a local restaurant. A cucumber yogurt sauce adds an authentic finishing touch. —Ruth Stahl, Shepherd, Montana
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 pita breads (6 inches), halved, warmed
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Chill. In a large bowl, combine seasonings; crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. Cut patties into thin slices; stuff into pita halves. Add lettuce, tomato and onion. Serve with the yogurt sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Ground Beef Gyros in Quick Cooking March/April 2000, p29
Reviews for Ground Beef Gyros
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review