- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 pita breads (6 inches), halved, warmed
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Chill. In a large bowl, combine seasonings; crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. Cut patties into thin slices; stuff into pita halves. Add lettuce, tomato and onion. Serve with the yogurt sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Ground Beef Gyros
"These were good! I added lemon juice and sour cream to the sauce. I will make these again and next time try grilling them."
"Most excellent! As good as those in the grease trucks without the lamb."
"I love lamb gyros, so thought I'd try this. I used to raise my own lamb, and still have lamb in the freezer, so I substituted hamburger for ground lamb. This was really good. As I have lamb in the freezer, I've been pondering making a loaf of 'gyro meat' using Alton Brown's recipe/method, which I'm sure is very good. But it requires a lot of work & time. For me, there is no need to try attempt his recipe now, because I think this recipe is a quick, easy, delicious substitute for the real deal gyros I love. I'll be making it again, and again........"
"My family loves these! I think they would rather eat these than regular hamburgers! I think what makes them really good is to buy authentic Greek pitas. We buy them from our local Greek restaurant. For the sauce: I used Greek yogurt, added some fresh chopped dill and finely chopped the cucumbers. We also double the filling recipe."
"A great recipe for at-home gyros. We didn't make the patties, just added the ground beef to the pitas with the other ingredients."
"So quick and easy and so like the real thing. I love gyros and will definitely make this again soon. P.S. Relatively inexpensive too! A real bonus!"
"Got so tired of paying top dollar at restaurants for gyro. Finally took the dive and made this. I used iceberg lettuce as a wrap instead of the pita and premade tzaziki from Costco. It's heaven and nearly carb-free. Thanks so much. Shared with all my friends on FB. If you lay it all out as a buffet -style meal, it makes a gorgeous platter as build-your-own gyro."
"This was SO good!! My family loved it, even though they were a little nervous about trying it. Everyone had seconds. It was great."