- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 package (10 ounces) corn tortillas (6 inches), torn into pieces
- In a skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, enchilada sauce, olives and salt. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine 1 cup cheddar cheese, cottage cheese and egg. Set aside. Spread one-third of the meat mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover with half of the tortillas; spread with half of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers with remaining ingredients, ending with the meat mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Ground Beef Enchilada Casserole
Sort By :
"I would agree that it should be doubled except for the tortillas. There was barely enough cheese. I also misread the recipe & put half of the meat sauce in the bottom instead of the 1/3 so I didn't have any sauce left for the top. So I used a small amount of salsa on top and covered with foil and baked. It was ok, but if I make it again I would probably leave out the green pepper & add a can of chopped green chiles & some cumin or chili powder as I believe it lacked flavor."
"My only complaint was it should be doubled, if not it makes a thin casserole in a 9x13 pan. Still tasty just not as pretty"
"This was pretty easy. I added some extra seasoning and there were no leftovers."
"I did not think someone from Oregon would know good Mexican food. But this recipe sounded interesting. sure enough tried it and I can tell you, it was wonderful..Even impressed us in West Texas and we know our mex food."
"This was very delicious and easy to make. although I recommend serving it with sour cream also. I doubled the recipe and it made a large lasagna pan full. very tasty"