Ground Beef Chow Mein Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 can (14 ounces) bean sprouts, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 jar (2 ounces) pimientos, drained and diced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the broth, celery, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, mushrooms, pimientos, soy sauce and ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup chow mein with 3/4 cup rice equals 358 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 963 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.