Ground Beef Chili Recipe
- 3 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 to 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons browning sauce, optional
- Additional chopped onion, optional
- In a stockpot, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the beans, tomato puree, salsa, tomatoes, broth, water, seasonings and, if desired, browning sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until chili reaches desired thickness. Garnish with chopped onion if desired. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews for Ground Beef Chili
Sort By :
Love this Chili just as it is. Serve it with some corn bread and add a little shredded cheddar on top. Yum.
Originally published as Ground Beef Chili in Taste of Home February/March 2001, p25
Beware the internet!! It can make a fool of anyone. :)
We loved it! I added a tsp or two of sugar with the other ingredients. I added refridgerated salsa instead of jarred stuff, and I think the flavor was enhanced.
original recipe? This recipe is verbatim from food.com posted in 2002. the original one is really good though.