Ground Beef Chili Recipe
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 to 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons browning sauce, optional
- Additional chopped onion, optional
- In a stockpot, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the beans, tomato puree, salsa, tomatoes, broth, water, seasonings and browning sauce if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until chili reaches desired thickness. Garnish with chopped onion if desired. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
Reviews for Ground Beef Chili(14)
Sort By :
We loved it! I added a tsp or two of sugar with the other ingredients. I added refridgerated salsa instead of jarred stuff, and I think the flavor was enhanced.
original recipe? This recipe is verbatim from food.com posted in 2002. the original one is really good though.
I made this tonight It was delicious, I didn't have the green pepper so I omitted that, and I did not use cumin I don't like it. Two thumbs up..
LOVE this recipe. It makes a TON of chili! I omitted the celery and doubled the cans of beans using 2 cans of kidney and 2 cans of pinto beans. They list the browing sauce as "optional". I made it without it the first time and it was good. I made it with the browning sauce the 2nd time and it was EXCEPTIONAL! I also make mine in a large stock pot. Put it in the oven on the bottom shelf for 3 hours. This gives the ingredients a good chance to blend..
Exactly the kind of chili recipe I was looking for...so tasty and you can start at any point and just let it simmer as long as you need to. I added some sour cream on top. Yummy!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Chili >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Soup >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Chili Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Comfort Food Chili Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Chili Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Mexican Chili >
- Mexican Chilies >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Super Bowl Party Dinners >