Ground Beef Campfire Stew
My dad concocted this recipe at an annual Labor Day camp-out with fellow church members. On the last night he rounded up everyone's leftovers, tossed them together ...and ended up with a delicious stew. - Laurie Schafer, Aurora, California
20 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours 20 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) peas, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Dash vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no
- longer pink; drain. Add the potatoes, carrots and water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until
- vegetables are tender. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer
- for 1 hour. Yield: 20 servings.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.