Ground Beef Biscuit Stew Recipe
“For a different taste, I sometimes add a little chili powder to the meat mixture and top this stew with a prepared cornbread mix,“ says Darlene Markel, a field editor from Sublimity, Oregon. “I’ve been making this recipe ever since I married 25 years ago.“
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, mixed vegetables and tomato sauce.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 400° for 15 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, for biscuits, in a small bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and mustard until mixture forms a soft dough. Add 6 tablespoons cheese.
- 4. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto stew. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 348 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 544 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC