“For a different taste, I sometimes add a little chili powder to the meat mixture and top this stew with a prepared cornbread mix,“ says Darlene Brenden, a field editor from Salem, Oregon.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, mixed vegetables and tomato sauce.
- Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 400° for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for biscuits, in a small bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and mustard until mixture forms a soft dough. Add 6 tablespoons cheese.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto stew. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Ground Beef Biscuit Stew in Taste of Home February/March 2006, p6
Reviews for Ground Beef Biscuit Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 28, 2014
"quick dish with my own Caribbean twist"