I first tasted this soup when a friend served it to our family one day after church. It's now a favorite with our family, especially our three children.—Maggie Norman, Stevensville, Montana
- 2 quarts water
- 2 meaty beef soup bones
- 2 beef bouillon cubes or 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, bring water and soup bones to a rapid boil; add bouillon. Stir in ground beef in small amounts. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until the meat comes easily off the bones.
- Remove bones. Strain broth; cool and chill. Skim off fat. Remove meat from bones; dice and return to broth along with remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 10-12 servings (about 2 quarts).
Originally published as Beef Barley Soup in Country Ground Beef 1993, p19
Reviews for Ground Beef Barley Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review