- 2 quarts water
- 2 meaty beef soup bones
- 2 beef bouillon cubes or 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, bring water and soup bones to a rapid boil; add bouillon. Stir in ground beef in small amounts. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until the meat comes easily off the bones.
- Remove bones. Strain broth; cool and chill. Skim off fat. Remove meat from bones; dice and return to broth along with remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 10-12 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Ground Beef Barley Soup
"Have made this before, very very good!!!"
"The green is parsley.Who uses a scale to make soup? Good grief, if you dont like the recipe, move on already."
"I took out the carrots and added peas and corn and it was really good. The entire family enjoyed. I would probably add more barley next time."
"it was good tasted just like in restaurants. I just didnt add the parsley or inion powder. But came out just as good."
" The green you see are green onions..Alot of recipes dont add it as an ingredient because it is usually used as a garnish. "
"This soup is kind of bland. Also I see something green in the picture and it calls for nothing green ?????What was left out?"