Ground Beef and Veggies
Fresh tomato and green pepper add splashes of color to this meaty main dish from Pauletta Bushnell of Lebanon, Oregon. "It's perfect for a family dinner or as a last-minute meal for unexpected company," she notes.
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 8 slices cheddar or process American cheese, divided
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in water, rice, onion, bouillon and mustard. Bring to a boil;
- reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cut six cheese slices into small pieces; add t rice mixture with
- green pepper and tomato. Cut remaining cheese slices diagonally into
- four triangles; arrange over top. Cover and remove from the heat.
- Let stand until liquid is absorbed and cheese is melted. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with lean ground beef, low-sodium bouillon and reduced-fat process American cheese product) equals 327 calories, 9 g fat (0 saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 465 mg sodium,