Fresh tomato and green pepper add splashes of color to this meaty main dish from Pauletta Bushnell of Lebanon, Oregon. "It's perfect for a family dinner or as a last-minute meal for unexpected company," she notes.
Featured In: 30 Beef Dinners Ready in 30 Minutes
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 8 slices cheddar or process American cheese, divided
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in water, rice, onion, bouillon and mustard. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cut six cheese slices into small pieces; add t rice mixture with green pepper and tomato. Cut remaining cheese slices diagonally into four triangles; arrange over top. Cover and remove from the heat. Let stand until liquid is absorbed and cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Ground Beef and Veggies in Quick Cooking July/August 2000, p59
Reviews for Ground Beef and Veggies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 15, 2011
"Nice quick twist to a weekend dinner!!!"
Reviewed Oct. 14, 2011
"it was good better than i expected"