Ground Beef and Barley Soup Recipe
I came across this recipe years ago at a recipe exchange through a church group. The contributor didn't sign her name, so I don't know who to thank. But my husband and son thank me for preparing it by helping themselves to seconds and thirds! - Ellen McCleary, Scotland, Ontario
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour YIELD:12 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until barley is tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 serving (1 each) equals 168 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 452 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC