- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until barley is tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Ground Beef and Barley Soup
"This was very good. I tossed in a few mushrooms that needed used up. Substituted tomato sauce for the soup because I didn't have the soup."
"Some people do not belong in the kitchen. Uwasv-waya is one of them. For Pete's sake it is soup! Folks next time you cooks send in a recipe have your tape measure handy. It's a good soup. My stars aren't working. 5 stars"
"This is an easy fast and delicious recipe for soup lovers. Thank you for the posting. Alan in New Hampshire"
"My family loved it. prepared it exactly is a recipe directs. My wife is not crazy about soup but she absolutely loves this one. It has so much flavor."