- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until barley is tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Ground Beef and Barley Soup
"This is an easy fast and delicious recipe for soup lovers. Thank you for the posting. Alan in New Hampshire"
"My family loved it. prepared it exactly is a recipe directs. My wife is not crazy about soup but she absolutely loves this one. It has so much flavor."
"It was delicious!"
"Very good! My husband and 1-year-old daughter love it!"
"This was a a pretty good soup. No complaint from the family. It was really easy to make. I used ground turkey instead of beef and added some frozen peas and a zuchini I had on hand. I would make this again."
"Yummy and easy to make. My whole family loved it!"
"I loved this recipe and so did my husband. It was easy to prepare and so delicious. I did make variations to the recipe by adding corn, and peas that we had harvested from our garden the previous summer. And of course the carrots we used were also from our garden. This addition made the recipe even better. Then the next time when we had it as leftovers I made dumplings and wow did it disappear then too. Love the recipe! Thanks so much for sharing it with us."