- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen puff pastry shells
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots, cut in half
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Bake pastry shells according to package directions. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the carrots and 1 cup of water. Cover and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, mushrooms and shallots over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Combine flour and broth until smooth. Add the broth mixture, tomato paste, wine, tarragon, salt, pepper and remaining water to beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain carrots; add to skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove top of pastry shells; fill with beef mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Ground Beef a la King in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy Annual 2005, p22
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Ground Beef a la King
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 28, 2012
"This recipe is great. The red wine made it just delicisous. I will definitely be making this again. The whole family loved it."