- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen puff pastry shells
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots, cut in half
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Bake pastry shells according to package directions. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the carrots and 1 cup of water. Cover and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, mushrooms and shallots over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Combine flour and broth until smooth. Add the broth mixture, tomato paste, wine, tarragon, salt, pepper and remaining water to beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain carrots; add to skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove top of pastry shells; fill with beef mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Ground Beef a la King in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy Annual 2005, p22
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Ground Beef a la King(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 28, 2012
This recipe is great. The red wine made it just delicisous. I will definitely be making this again. The whole family loved it.