Ground Beef 'n' Biscuits
"This recipe was given to me by a good friend when I got married, and I have used it many times since," shares Lois Hill from her kitchen in Trinity, North Carolina. The saucy meal is family-pleasing and also budget-pleasing at 98 cents a serving.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1 tube (12 ounces) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat,
- until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the flour, salt,
- oregano and pepper until blended. Add tomato sauce and peas; simmer
- for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Separate biscuits;
- arrange over beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until biscuits are
- golden brown and cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.