Grossmutter's Peppernuts Recipe
Before Christmas, my grandmother would bake peppernuts and store them until the big day. When we came home from school, the whole house would smell like anise and we knew the holiday season was about to begin.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. YIELD:60 servings
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon anise extract or crushed aniseed
- 1. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar at medium speed for 15 minutes. Reduce speed and slowly add flour and anise. Mix until well combined. On a lightly floured surface, shape dough into ropes about 1/2 in. in diameter. Chill for 1 hour.
- 2. Cut ropes into 1/2-in. pieces. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until set. Cookies will harden upon standing.
- 3. When cool, store in airtight containers; they are best if allowed to age before serving. Yield: 30 dozen.
1 serving (6 pieces) equals 51 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 3 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC