- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon anise extract or crushed aniseed
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar at medium speed for 15 minutes. Reduce speed and slowly add flour and anise. Mix until well combined. On a lightly floured surface, shape dough into ropes about 1/2 in. in diameter. Chill for 1 hour.
- Cut ropes into 1/2-in. pieces. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until set. Cookies will harden upon standing.
- When cool, store in airtight containers; they are best if allowed to age before serving. Yield: 30 dozen.
Reviews for Grossmutter's Peppernuts
"The texture of these cookies was like eating dry playdough. They also lacked flavor, even though I used freshly crushed aniseed. I won't be making these again!"
"It's been years since I've made cookies!! But, I'm going to locate my cookies sheets and make this one!!To BrytEyz or anyone else looking for Anise Seeds, you will find them at Penzey's Spices. They do ship. www.penzeys.com or call them at 1-800-741-7787.Happy Baking ~~ Kitzer"
"My family LOVES these cookies! The Anise flavor is such a nice addition to my Christmas Cookie assortment. I've never found anisseed, so I just use the extract. I love that the recipe makes such a large number of cookies so quickly and easily. The small size is perfect for such intense flavor. The TOH cookbook in which I found the recipe states that they're best when left to age for a couple of weeks, but my family prefers them fresh. If you do "age" them, they'll take on a much crunchier consistency."