Before Christmas, my grandmother would bake peppernuts and store them until the big day. When we came home from school, the whole house would smell like anise and we knew the holiday season was about to begin.
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon anise extract or crushed aniseed
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar at medium speed for 15 minutes. Reduce speed and slowly add flour and anise. Mix until well combined. On a lightly floured surface, shape dough into ropes about 1/2 in. in diameter. Chill for 1 hour.
- Cut ropes into 1/2-in. pieces. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until set. Cookies will harden upon standing.
- When cool, store in airtight containers; they are best if allowed to age before serving. Yield: 30 dozen.
Originally published as Grossmutter's Peppernuts in Reminisce November/December 1991, p35
Reviews for Grossmutter's Peppernuts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review