Groom's Boot Cake Recipe
Something sweet was afoot when Traci Renner and Chad Betts of Baltic, Ohio exchanged rural "I do's" at his parents' country acreage. Chad's mom tastefully captured the couple's Western theme with the confections she created— two cowboy boot-shaped groom's cakes that were "roped" to the main tiered cake.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 cups Cream Cheese Frosting or Bridal Cake Frosting
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Brown and blue paste food coloring
- 5 pastry or small heavy-duty resealable plastic bags
- Pastry tips #5 round and #21 star
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat on low just until combined. Line a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease and flour paper. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
- 2. Level the top of cake. Trace boot pattern onto waxed paper as directed on pattern and cut out. Place pattern on cake and cut around pattern. Place boot cake on a large serving platter or 16-in.-square covered board. Prepare frosting. Combine 1/2 cup frosting with milk to make a glaze; evenly spread over top and sides of boot. Refrigerate for 20-25 minutes or until completely set.
- 3. Cut apart waxed paper boot pattern along inside design lines and reposition pattern on cake. Using a toothpick, lightly trace around each piece to transfer patterns.
- 4. Tint 3/4 cup frosting brown. Tint 1 cup dark blue and 1/2 cup light blue. Leave 1/4 cup white. Cover and refrigerate blue and white frostings. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert round tip. Fill bag with brown frosting. Following the pattern, outline the boot shape and inside design lines with brown frosting. Insert star tip in brown frosting bag. Pipe stars on top and sides of brown pater areas as shown in photo at far left.
- 5. Prepare another pastry or plastic bag, inserting star tip. Fill bag with white frosting; pipe stars on white areas. Insert star tip into another pastry or plastic bag; fill with light blue frosting. Pipe stars on top and sides of light blue areas of cake. Insert star tip into pastry or plastic bag; fill with dark blue frosting. Pipe stars on top and sides of dark blue area of cake. Store cake in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 piece: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Groom's Boot Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC