Grits Pie Recipe
Simple, southern and scrumptious, this pie will be a definite hit even with people who dislike grits. It has the perfect custardy texture.—Victoria Hudson, Pickens, South Carolina
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- Whipped cream, orange slices or sliced fresh strawberries, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until thickened. Add butter; stir until melted. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the sugar, flour, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Slowly stir into grits. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Add filling.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes or just until set. Serve warm or cool to room temperature. Garnish with whipped cream and orange or strawberries if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC